Welcome to Brighton Community Darkroom. It is run on a not-for-profit basis to enable people to have affordable access to a darkroom to develop and print film or to create images using various alternative processes. Darkrooms whether private or commercial have become an endangered species and we hope this darkroom will allow people to carry on or try analogue photography.
The darkroom is located within Coachwerks, 19 Hollingdean Terrace, Brighton, BN1 7HB
- £25 per month for regular users to be paid by standing order/direct debit/ bank transfer, including chemicals
- £25 per day for casual users to be paid in cash on the day of attendance, including chemicals
Regular users additionally pay a refundable key deposit of £25 to enable access to Coachwerks. if you would like to become a regular user please contact us by emailing the darkroom.
Darkroom regulars can use the on-line booking system to enter the date and time they wish to use the darkroom. Casual users can check the website calendar to see if any days are available within the next 72 hours and request a slot by emailing the darkroom.
We have two enlargers allowing negatives from 35mm to 5×4 inch to be printed. The darkroom is well-stocked and we have a variety of trays allowing prints up to 20×24 inches to be printed, plus all the usual darkroom paraphernalia, including many Paterson developing tanks, reels etc. Presently the darkroom is set up principally for black and white photography using Ilford Chemistry, but there are plans afoot to extend into colour developing and printing.
Our users range from beginners to the very experienced, and all are welcome. For those new to the darkroom or whose skills may be rusty, a simple induction running through the basics can be arranged by one of the volunteers.
Our calendar shows the monthly availability.
- To enquire about available sessions, email email@example.com
- To enquire about the website, Google Group or Google Calendar, email Pete@thegoldenear.org
The darkroom is based within Coachwerks, and is run by a group of the regular users, we meet on a quarterly basis.
To help us collaborate efficiently on this shared project we have:
- A Facebook Group.
- A Google Group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/brighton-community-darkroom which members can email at brighton-community-darkroom at googlegroups.com,
- A Google Calendar for scheduling sessions *
- A Google Drive shared from the firstname.lastname@example.org Google account with all the documentation required *
- We also have this web site.
* You’ll need a Google account to access these.